Which version of Joomla am I running?
First off we’ll find out which version of Joomla your site is running. Maybe you don’t need to update at all … or maybe you really need to update really quickly! Let’s find out.
Once you’ve logged into the Joomla backend you can identify your current version in several ways. Assuming you’re running at least Joomla 3.x.x you can look in the following places:
- The current Joomla version is listed in the footer, at the bottom right of the page, and should look something like this:
- You can also find the current version in the system information tab, in the section System > System Information in the row Joomla! Version.
If you’re running an older Joomla version (pre 3.x.x) here you can find an extensive guide on identifying the version for older Joomla versions.
If you’re planning to update/upgrade from an older Joomla version, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be glad to help!
Finding out the latest Joomla version
This part is easy – here are a few places you can check the latest version:
- Joomla.org maintains a page with a link to the latest Joomla version and various download links.
- The Joomla.org downloads page features a teaser box with the latest version and a download link.
- You can find a release blog with posts for the release of each Joomla version, including a summary paragraph about what is new in that version.
- And finally, if you’re also interested in the version history, here’s a complete list of version releases – including the latest version.
Do I need to update my Joomla site?
If you’ve already completed the above steps you’ll already know the answer to this question. If not, read on:
- If your site needs an update you’ll see an update notification when you log into the Joomla backend at the top of the page like this:
- If you open the Joomla Update tool you’ll be immediately informed if a newer version is available. In the section Components > Joomla! Update you’ll see something like:
… and before you update your site
Updating to the latest Joomla versions is generally a painless and rewarding experience that requires only a couple of clicks and a few moments’ patience, however:
- Always remember to make a backup beforehand
- Be prepared that sometimes things go wrong 🙂
If you need help updating your Joomla website, or dealing with issues that result from an unsuccessful update, drop us a line at email@example.com and we’ll be happy to assist!